Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Harvest Time Has Arrived

Greetings!

The air is chilly and I could smell fall in the air this morning.  It is one of my favorite times of the year until I realize winter follows.  Time to make my nest for the cold days.  It is  getting closer each morning.  :)

This morning I meet a friend for coffee and what a blessing it was.   I meet her at the Writers Group at the Library, several months ago and I was inspired when I  heard part of  her life story.  She has written a book about her life as a refuge orphan and her new life in America.  Today, she brought me a copy of her book and I can't wait to read it.   I can't wrap my brain around coming to America alone (at age 3) and knowing nothing about your birth parents left behind.  War does cruel things.  I love her name and story.   Today she shared that her adopted parents changed her name from Ruth to Gretchen. I want to write a good-bye letter to my Aunt Ruth soon, so that name touched my heart.  But I love the name Gretchen also.  Everything must have been so scary for her.  No wonder great authors hung out with other great authors.  Hans Christian Anderson often visited with Charles Dickinson.   I am always amazed how kindred spirits boost my creative juices and inspire me to do great things.  We are just starting to know each other, but I can already tell the friendship will be strong.    Who knows maybe someday, it will be written about the friendship we had as writers.  Gretchen has lots of pictures in her book and now I have decided that I need to put more on the blog.

The coffee shop is one of my favorites.  I have been so consumed with John that I haven't stopped by there often.  I think it will make it a great meeting place to meet my friends.  Time to set up some gatherings of old and new friends.  It has a little gift shop in the coffee shop with some real cute items.  I was in a hurry this morning or I would have shopped.  :)

John is looking better, but he is still complaining and wondering how long he will feel like this.  Sometimes, I just have to get out of the house.

The word for today is  Harvest and the reference verse is Genesis 8:22.  The Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary says it a season of gathering in agricultural crops and assisting neighbors in their harvest.
The verse reads:  "As long as the earth remains, there will be springtime and harvest, cold and heat, winter and summer, day and night.  Genesis 8:22  

The promise for today is:  If you remain still, I will do your fighting for you.  Exodus 14:14 
This has always been one of my favorites.

Large pumpkin patches are set up to sell pumpkins and gourds along the road on the way to New Braunfels.  It is also the city of the October Fest in Texas.  When my children were little, I loved taking them to a Pumpkin Patch for pictures.  Over the years, I have done it often.  I plan to buy a couple just for John and I.  Maybe something to put on my new tablecloth in the kitchen.  The photo of the fruit pumpkin was my last year creation.  What a hair do!  She was a success but no one wanted to mess up her hair.  I ended up giving her to the kids next door.





Joey just came and went.  He is having a hard time this week.  He broke up with his girlfriend and still loves  her.  He is mad at himself.  I try to encourage him.  Sometimes as a mother it is impossible to fix the broken.  He is anxious to have the weekend off and go to church on Sunday.  As his mother, I know God has big plans for Joey and I can't wait to see them unfold.  I have been praying over him and sharing with him.  He knows he has to make some changes in life and that is a start.  Pray for him to find peace and understanding in God.  

It has been a busy day.  Time to clean up the kitchen and call it a day.  May the Lord richly bless you.  come back tomorrow and read my letter to Aunt Ruth.  

Love is in the ink.  
Mary Kay 

No comments:

Post a Comment