Thursday, October 19, 2017

Good Bye Aunt Ruth

                     

Good Morning,

The morning air is perfect.  Not to cold and not hot!  The sad part is the air is full of allergies this time of the year.  This morning, I could tell the air was heavy with mold and cedar.  John has suffered all week from allergies, yet he can't wait to take care of the tall Johnson grass out in the yard.  I am going to suggest he wear a mask when he does.  I don't think he will.

Homemade cough syrup has helped John's cough.  The juice of a whole lemon and a little honey.  At first he didn't want it, but now he is a believer.  He slept most of the night, so I think he is ready for recovery.  What a blessing that will be.

Today, I want to share some memories about my Aunt Ruth.  I never said, good bye so a letter to heaven is the next best way.  I love this way of putting closure to friends and family that I miss.
Aunt Ruth was a walking story of pain, sorrow and alcohol abuse.  Sometimes, my dad would go and pick her up from a tavern.  She was not able to get home on her own.  Ruth tried hard to drown her sorrows in drinking.  I guess it finally worked; when God called her home.  I don't remember her coming in the middle of the night or what age I was when that seem to happen.  My fondest memories of her was  when I was a new mother living in Wisconsin and how much she loved my baby, Julie.  She loved to come and hold her and admire her little hands and feet. My mother told me stories of Ruth.  Stories of love and compassion about her sister caring for her mother (my grandmother), working at the Wisconsin School for the Deaf, giving birth to her own daughter, Nancy only to stand by the coffin to say, good bye to her  sweet little girl.  She married her best friend, Mary's husband Ed, after Mary died.  Ed loved life until Nancy died.  Nancy died of a ruptured appendix after a day at the circus.  Ruth thought it was to much popcorn.  It was Jesus calling Nancy home.    Ruth tried to find life without Nancy in a bottle of whiskey. Ed drank until his brain could no long function and spent his last years in a mental hospital.  Ruth managed a little restaurant in Williams Bay, Wisconsin.  She loved to cook and made the best pies in all the part of the county.  That is when I connected with Ruth.  I never captured her art of making pies, but I did see her love and compassion for others.  Then she died.  My cousins told me they found lots of whiskey bottles in her apartment.  I still don't want to believe that.  Here is my letter to Aunt Ruth:

Dear Aunt Ruth.

Your finally home with your sweet Nancy, Ed (the love of your life), your parents, sisters, and brothers.  I can only imagine that Nancy sits on the lap of Jesus and sings to you as you sit at His feet. I remember you played the harmonica.  I can almost hear the sweet sounds of love coming from you.  You found life!  Life with Jesus.

My mother loved you!  Do  you have heavenly chats with tea and pie?  My heart is so happy with thoughts of your happiness.

Julie is all grown up now and has her own little girl.  Does God ever give you an earthly assignment?  Maybe you could visit them both and deposit a whole bunch of  heavenly love into their lives.  Whisper in their ear with love songs and anoint them with the oil of forgiveness.

The family reunion now takes place in heaven.  I can't wait to join you all.  Save me a piece of pie. It will not be long and I will be with you.  I long to meet my grandmother and rest in hugs of love.  Not long ago, I gave Nancy's little doll chair to a foster daughter. It has a lovely home now.  I have photos of you and Nancy.  The best gifts of all.

One day after you died, I heard your car come into our driveway.  It was so real, but you didn't come to the door.   Please visit me whenever you can.  Your story will live in my heart until we meet again. I loved you than and I still love you. 

Love is in the ink.
Your niece, Mary Kay


This was a difficult letter to write.

The word for today is Anoint and verse reference is James 5:14.

Is anyone among you sick?  Then he must call for the elders of the church
and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.   James 5:14

Anoint in the Merriam-Webster online dictionary is defined as smearing or rubbing oil or an oily substance.  Part of a religious ceremony.  The meaning seems so cold and meaningless.  My thoughts are holy and precious and a touch of oil to remember the sacrifice of the death of Christ.

The Promise for Today is:  I will cover you with My feathers, and protect you with my My wings.  Psalm 91:4

Praying you all have a wonderful day and are blessed beyond measure.

Love is in the ink.
Mary Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment